File Management Requirements for Lawyers
Essential File Management Requirements for Your Law Practice
Your Law Practice Management check lists should include systems to manage the following file management areas. Systems to:
- store and be able to conveniently retrieve information regarding all your clients and opposing parties
- open new client files
- manage active client files
- check for conflicts
- manage limitation periods
- close, retain, and then dispose of closed files
- review and when necessary change data management systems to keep up with changing standards and practices
- manage electronically stored information
- store clients’ property in safekeeping
- comply with your State’s Bar trust and bookkeeping requirements.
Files include electronic format as well as paper documents.