Essential File Management Requirements for Your Law Practice
Your Law Practice Management check lists should include systems to manage the following file management areas. Systems to:
- store and be able to conveniently retrieve information regarding all your clients and opposing parties
- open new client files
- manage active client files
- check for conflicts
- manage limitation periods
- close, retain, and then dispose of closed files
- review and when necessary change data management systems to keep up with changing standards and practices
- manage electronically stored information
- store clients’ property in safekeeping
- comply with your State’s Bar trust and bookkeeping requirements.
Files include electronic format as well as paper documents.